Saturday, February 11, 2012

Health Care and Reproduction

Eagle: What do you make of Obama and the reproduction stuff going on?

Mouse: I think that Obama is trying to make it fair.  It isn't fair that rich white people get to have birth control, contraception and the morning after pill and others don't.

Eagle: I see.

Mouse: 98% of catholic women use birth control.  You don't see mom, dad, eight, ten, twelve kids at church. Its women who have decided that they need to have some say in their reproductive health and capacity.  If you have a job and lose a job when you get pregnant, or your uterus is going to rupture and kill you, they say, "enough is enough, I've got to educate these kids, feed them, clothe them, I cannot afford to have any more."  If they bear a child, there's nothing that says that men have to feed and clothe the child.  Still, its men making those decisions.

Eagle: So, if we were to flip the situation, and it was a matriarchal society in charge of making rules and laws, we could use another analogy.  If in the matriarchal society the church said, masturbation and pornography are illegal.  I believe mens' rebuttal might be, "Well, it isn't realistic that men should not be allowed to masturbate, simply for the sake of men's health."

Mouse: The catholic church does say that.  Men shouldn't be spilling their seed, it should be used only for conception.  Yet, I don't hear any law being proposed against masturbation.  Its only contraception, abortion, birth control, and the morning after pill.  Only things that are to do with women.  And yet, its celibate men who are the catholic bishops.  Why are they rowing their oar in this pond. 

Eagle: I see.

Mouse:  At the moment, republicans are trying to control women.  They're saing, "If you can keep them barefoot and pregnant, you can control them."  Women want to have sex as bad as you, but the consequence for us is nine months of being pregnant. 

Eagle: Ah.

Mouse:  Its also a racial thing.  Newt Gingrich said, “Let those little poor kids clean the bathrooms and clean the floors, because that’ll teach them a work ethic,” as if black people or Mexican people don’t have a work ethic.  Its just truly scary, the control of the richest capitalists, they’re getting more and more of the money, and the poor are getting less and less.  They’re making their money by trading paper, stock, hedge funds, betting on stuff, it isn’t producing anything, its just making them wealthy, and there’s a huge disparity, the 1% has 90% of the wealth, and it won’t sustain. 

Eagle: Hmm.

Mouse: The conservatives don’t want a social safety net.  They don’t want social services for unemployed women.  For women having a uterus is a pre-existing condition.  Yet, people who cannot afford to have 14 children are the ones being forced to have them.

Eagle: So, Obama was trying to be fair, and give both sides a voice and respect.

Mouse: Yeah, I think so.  I mean, maybe he should have talked about it more, but, I think that's what he was trying to do.

Eagle: Thank you for your great insights!

No comments:

Post a Comment